First time I made this recipe I KNEW it was a keeper!!
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 of a 1-1/4-ounce package(2 tablespoons)taco seasoning mix
1 4-ounce can whole green chili peppers, rinsed, seeded, and cut in half lengthwise (6 pieces total)
2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into six 2x1/2-inch sticks.
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 8-ounce jar taco sauce or salsa
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (optional)
Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
1. Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. HINT:sprinkle chicken with a little bit of water before pounding to keep from tearing.
2. In a bowl combine cornmeal and taco seasoning mix. Place egg in another bowl; beat lightly.
3. For each roll, place a chili pepper half on a chicken piece. Place a cheese stick atop chili pepper near an edge. Sprinkle with some of the cilantro or parsley, black pepper, and red pepper. Fold in sides; roll up jelly-roll style, starting from edge with cheese .
4. Dip rolls into egg and coat with cornmeal mixture. Place rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Heat taco sauce. If desired, sprinkle chicken with shredded cheese. Serve with taco sauce or salsa. If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Peace in Christ
18 hours ago