First time I made this recipe I KNEW it was a keeper!!
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 of a 1-1/4-ounce package(2 tablespoons)taco seasoning mix
1 4-ounce can whole green chili peppers, rinsed, seeded, and cut in half lengthwise (6 pieces total)
2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into six 2x1/2-inch sticks.
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 8-ounce jar taco sauce or salsa
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (optional)
Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
1. Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. HINT:sprinkle chicken with a little bit of water before pounding to keep from tearing.
2. In a bowl combine cornmeal and taco seasoning mix. Place egg in another bowl; beat lightly.
3. For each roll, place a chili pepper half on a chicken piece. Place a cheese stick atop chili pepper near an edge. Sprinkle with some of the cilantro or parsley, black pepper, and red pepper. Fold in sides; roll up jelly-roll style, starting from edge with cheese .
4. Dip rolls into egg and coat with cornmeal mixture. Place rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Heat taco sauce. If desired, sprinkle chicken with shredded cheese. Serve with taco sauce or salsa. If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Once I had eyebrows
1 hour ago