Jennifer S. (adapted from several recipes online)
Because I am doing a High Protein and Low Carb Lifestyle, I was searching for something to take to a church pot luck, that way I knew I had something that I could eat while there. I took a VERY empty 13x9 pan home!
- 1 pound ground pork sausage (regular or hot)
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bag of fresh sugar snap peas, cut in half on the bigger pea pods
- 1 can of sliced water chestnuts, drained and sliced into slivers
- 6 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, optional
- sweet and sour sauce, optional
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring often to crumble, until cooked through. Do not drain.
- Add the red pepper, peas, water chestnuts, coleslaw mix, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce to the skillet with the sausage. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until cabbage has softened a bit.
- Remove from the heat and top with the green onions, drizzle with sesame oil, and the sesame seeds, if using.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of sweet and sour sauce. (Sauce is not very low carb, but very tasty!)