Monday, September 10, 2012

Mom's Meatloaf

Foodie Friends Friday



OK let me be totally honest here....I HATE meatloaf. Or at least I thought that I did. I know I was shocked too to find out that I like it. Especially when I make it, I know what is in it, and I approve of the flavor.

This recipe came about after a decade long ban on meatloaf in my home (I refused to eat or make it) Until now! Hold onto your socks!

I also want you to know that this makes kickin' sandwiches the next day, eat it cold on bread with a slather of mayo. You will be glad that you did!!

1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb ground venison (double the beef if this bothers you, or you don't have access to venison)
1 envelope dry onion soup mix/dip
1 sleeve saltine crackers, crushed to crumbs
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 TBS prepared mustard
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 eggs
3 green onions, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
enough uncooked bacon slices to cover top of meatloaf (see picture)
extra BBQ sauce

In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients except the bacon and extra BBQ sauce with your hands! I wore rubber gloves, you can too ;)
Place meat mixture into a sprayed 9x9 square pan. Lay bacon on top of meat (any way you want) I chose to make a lattice pattern,
Bake at 350 for 60 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce to top of bacon slices, and spread out. Back into the oven for another 15 minutes.
Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing to eat. Save some for sandwiches the next day :)

Don't for get to serve as your side dish The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond's Mac N Cheese

Now check out the finished meatloaf! Go make some today....lift the ban!!




4 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! Love meatloaf and Ree's mac and cheese! Nettie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously the best mac n cheese I think I have ever had!

      Delete
  2. I love all that BACON!! Perfect pair for a great meal. Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bacon on top of your meatloaf! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Please come back to VOTE on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete