- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled. I used Lindt 95% Cacao
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and softened
- 2 (9 inch) pie shells, baked and cooled, store bought or your own recipe
- chocolate shavings
- Whip one cup of cream: With electric mixer on medium-high speed, whip cream to stiff peaks, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer whipped cream to small bowl and refrigerate.
- Whip second cup of cream: With electric mixer on medium-high speed, whip cream to soft peaks, add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Transfer whipped cream to small bowl and refrigerate. Make sure you keep the regular and sweetened creams separate.
- Beat eggs: Combine eggs, sugar, and water in large heatproof bowl set over medium saucepan filled with ½ inch barely simmering water (don’t let bowl touch water). With electric mixer on medium speed, beat until egg mixture is thickened and registers 160 degrees, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and continue to beat egg mixture until fluffy and cooled to room temperature, about 8 minutes.
- Add chocolate and vanilla to cool egg mixture and beat until incorporated. Beat in butter pieces, a few at a time, until well combined.
- Using spatula, fold in regular whipped cream until no streaks of white remain. Scrape filling into pie shells, top with sweetened whipped cream, and chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours. Serve.